Canterbury Kids' KingDOME
Unit: Jesus Cares
Feb. 23 - April 6, 2014
This unit gives the children a look at Jesus
ministry. The emphasis is on Jesus' and Tod's compassion for humanity, from attention to their daily physical needs, to care for their souls. We will teach three stories:
The Feeding of the Five Thousand (Matthew 14:13-21, Mark 6:34-44, Luke 9:10-17, John 6:1-14)
Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1-10)
Jesus Washes the Disciples' Feet (John 13:1-15)
May we internalize the examples and the commands of Jesus to "Feed them", "seek out and save the lost", and to "to serve one another".
Children will be able to express the following understandings and facts.
· Jesus cares for everyone.
· Jesus expects us to follow his example, and to care for others.
· Know the three Bible stories well enough to tell them: Jesus feeding the 5000; Zacchaeus; Jesus washing the disciples" feet.
· The liturgical season of Lent is a season of penitence and a time of humble appreciation for Jesus' sacrifice. We put extra effort into our relationship with God.
Children will know the following Bible usage facts:
- The New Testament is about Jesus and the early church.
- The first four books of the New Testament are called the Gospels.
- The Gospels are Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
- Gospels tell about Jesus' life.
Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you did it to Me.
For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost.
...whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.
Mark 10:14, 16
Jesus said to them, "Let the little children come to me; do not hinder them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs." And he took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them.
CreataDOME Feeding of the 5000 - stained glass
DramaDOME Zacchaeus - Special Report on televison
CinemaDOME Examples of Jesus' care for others - clips from Jesus movie
RecreaDOME Caring verses - Picnic Relay Races (Feeding of the 5000)
LaboraDOME All three stories - experiments relating to each
UpperDOME Passover meal and foot washing
Spring Break CinemaDOME - The Miracles of Jesus
Spring Break RecreaDOME - Holy Word Squares
February 23 Introduction to Unit, The Season of Lent
March 2 Feeding of the 5000
March 9 Zacchaeus
March 16 Washing the Disciples' Feet
March 23 Spring Break: Special Gathering
March 30 Spring Break: A Tale of Compassion
April 6 Holy Week: More than Just Sundays