Canterbury Kids' KingDOME
April 13 - May 11, 2014
This unit covers the story of Pentecost found in Acts, chapter 2. When the story takes place, Jesus had just recently died on the cross, risen from the dead, commissioned His disciples, and ascended into heaven. But before He left, Jesus made a promise to send an Advocate, a Comforter, and Power for His work: this would be the gift of the Holy Spirit. We will study the events of Pentecost day, the beginning of the early church, and the power of the Holy Spirit. We will see this gift at work both in Bible times and today.
Children will be able to express the following understandings and facts.
- Children will be able to tell the story of Pentecost.
- Children will know that Christians received the gift of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.
- Children will know that Pentecost is the beginning of the Church, the "birthday" of the Church
- Children will know that the Holy Spirit is the gift of God's presence, "God with us."
- Children will understand that the Holy Spirit gives us power to do God's work.
- Children will understand that while Christians are different from each other, we are united as one in the Holy Spirit.
- Children will know that the Church Calendar celebrates the gospel of Jesus and the Holy Spirit working in our lives.
- Children will know that the liturgical season of Pentecost is a time to celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Children will know the following Bible usage facts:
- Acts follows the Gospels.
- Acts is the history of the early church.
- Acts is the only book in the history category in the New Testament.
- Acts was written by Luke, the Gospel writer.
- Acts contains stories about the disciples, Paul, and other early Christians.
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.
... the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you.
If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you forever. I will not leave you comfortless.
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lor
CreataDOME Church calendar - Produce teaching video
CinemaDOME One in the Spirit - Veggie Tales "The Gourds Must Be Crazy
CreataDOME Power of the Holy Spirit - Blow painting with straws
DramaDOME Pentecost with Peter - You Were There
LaboraDOME Invisible, but present - Science experiments
RecreaDOME The Holy Spirit spreads the word - Fan Mail
Week 1 Jesus' Promise and Ascension
Week 2 The Story of Pentecost
Week 3 Peter's Response - Peter visits
Week 4 The First Christians
Week 5 The Power of the Spirit spreads
Week 6 The Holy Spirit and You - Peter visits