So you're going to be a Canterbury
Click here to download registration form.
Click here for Spring Retreat Form
Click the above link to print your Spring Retreat registration form. Be sure to send in the bottom with your $75 fee by April 10.
E-mails, notes, phone calls, or checks are not sufficient to secure your place. The form must in the Children's Ministries office by the above date.
We must have a "Confirmation Registration Form" on file for every confirmand (6th grader), signed by youth and parents. This form is especially important for participation in off-campus events. Special forms/information will be mailed to you prior to retreats. We also need a picture attached to your form.
Regular Sunday Morning Schedule: ( all regular activities in Scout Building)
9:10 a.m. Gathering (we will start on time)
9:30 a.m. Dismissal to Small Groups ( A,B,C,D)
9:35 - 10:05 a.m. Small Group Lessons
10:05 - 10:15 a.m. Small Group Closing
Curriculum: Credo, Confirmation Resources, published by Cokesbury
On the Web: Canterburyumc.org/children/confirmation
Parental Support: Parents will be given the Credo Confirmation guide for Parents, Mentor, and Adult leaders. Along with making Confirmation a priority in the family schedule, parents are encouraged to read along in the corresponding sessions in Chapter Three, so that they can have meaningful discussions with their confirmands about the material being covered each week in class. This will be particularly helpful if the confirmand has to be absent.
Minimal Participation Guidelines: Although there is no "minimum" level of attendance or participation that a person must meet in order to be included in the actual Confirmation Service, we know that those young people who are consistently committed and involved receive the maximum benefits of the Confirmation experience. The Credo curriculum encourages minimal participation standards. For these reasons, we are recommending the following:
That all Canterbury confirmands to the best of their ability.....
- Attend at least 18 Sunday morning sessions.
- Participate in at least 25 worship opportunities ( Canterbury or elsewhere)
- Participate in at least 2 class Outreach events.
- Participate in at least 1 retreat.
Sr. Minister: Dr. William B. Morgan, Jr. (Bill), firstname.lastname@example.org, 874-1527
Dir. of Children's Ministries: Susan Wilborn, email@example.com, 874-1539
Confirmation Coordinators: Rodney Cox and Mike Thomas
Music & Worship: Linn Lower
Group A: Pam & Andy Autrey; Lucie & Brad Haynes
Group B: Stephanie & Russ Carothers; Lissa Tyson
Group C: Randa & Steve Hall; Harlan Winn
Group D: Mary & Walter Little; Melissa & Rob Oliver
Parental Role In Confirmation
Confirmation is a renewal of the covenant of salvation declared at our baptism. In this renewal we acknowledge what God is doing for us and in us, and we affirm our commitment to Christ's holy church Confirmation is not the penultimate Christian experience, but it may be the beginning of our faith journey.
What is your child doing in Confirmation?
Through a series of weekly meetings (Sunday morning) and outside worship, fellowship, retreat, and service opportunities your child, along with his/her peers and loving, trained leaders will have an opportunity to explore and ultimately choose and claim for themselves the salvation that God has offered them in their baptism.
What is the role of parents in Confirmation?
Parents are an essential part of Confirmation. If your children were baptized as infants, you promised to surround them with steadfast love until they were "established in the faith and confirmed and strengthened in the Way that lead to Life Eternal." In fulfillment of this promise, you are now providing the opportunity for them to participate fully in the Confirmation experience and to encourage them tn the following ways:
- Encourage your child's faith. Talk about faith ... your faith and the role that faith plays in your family.
- Help your child discover life in the church (the Body of Christ). Give them an opportunity to participate in the many aspects of corporate Christian life...Worship, fellowship, Sunday School, weddings, funerals, outreach events.
- Help you child understand confirmation as an initial step in a life-long journey.
- Show by example the importance of the vows made at confirmation or when joining the church. To be faithful in Prayers, Presence, Gifts, Service, Witness.
- Facilitate your child's participation in the events of Confirmation. REGISTER FOR EVENTS IN A TIMELY FASHION!!! Have them at events on time and pick up from events no more than 5 min. later than the ending time.
- Encourage your child to do private devotions - Bible Study and Prayer.
- Volunteer to help with food, transportation, prayer, or as a leader/chaperone.
- Stress the importance of cooperation with adult leadership.
- pray regularly for your child, others in the group, and the leaders.
- MAKE CONFIRMATION A FAMILY PRIORITY THIS YEAR.
Confirmation Schedule 2013
Sunday, Aug. 12, Parent/Student Orientation Canterbury Hall, 9:15 a.m.
Sunday, Aug. 19 Promotion Sunday
Scout Bldg., 9:15 -10:15 a.m.
Scout Bldg., 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. Ice Cream Social
Confirmands and Leaders
Sunday, Aug. 26 Confirmation Covenant Service
Confirmands and Leaders
Sunday, Sept. 2 No Sunday School
Sunday, Sept. 16 Set up for B’ham Hospitality Net
Break down B’ham Hospitality Net
Scout Bldg. Reservation
Friday/Sat. Oct. 19 & 20 Fall Retreat – 4-H Center
4:00 p.m. depart; 6:00 p.m. Sat. return Reservation
Sunday, Nov. 18 Thanksgiving Food Delivery
After Worship; lunch & return by 2:30 pm Reservation
Sunday, Dec. 16 Caroling & Christmas Party
Dining Room; 4:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Reservation
Sunday, Dec. 30 No Sunday School
Parlor, TBA Set up for BHN - Reservation
Sunday, Jan. 6 Break down BHN - Reservation
Wed. & Thurs. Feb. 15 & 16 Stop Hunger Now – Church wide
Click above to print a form.
Sunday, March 3 Attend Holy Communion Together
8:15 or 10:30 a.m.
Wednesday, March 27 Children’s Holy Week Service
Chapel, 6:15 p.m.
Saturday, March 30 Easter Egg Hunt (TBA)
Sat. & Sun., April 20 - 21 Spring Retreat – 4-H(Reservation)
Sun. April 21, 10:30 a.m. Confirmands in Contemporary
Fri., May 3 Confirmation Dinner (Reservation)
Canterbury Hall, 6:00 p.m. Confirmands, Families, Leaders
Sun., May 5 CONFIRMATION SERVICE!!!
Sanctuary, 10:30 a.m.
If you would like a printed copy of this information, be sure to ask your leader for one.
If you missed the link above to download a registration form, click here!